How to make a hypsometer or angle and distance meter

Well call him hypsometer, but I am not very clear that this is a hypsometer, but a tool to measure angles or heights.

According to the RAE a hypsometer is a apparatus for measuring height above sea level based on the boiling point of liquids.

So we will call you angle, distance and height meter waiting for a reader to leave us a comment with the name of this tool.

how to make a hypsometer

It is a classical experiment of trigonometry and classical science. I have measured many trees with a stick and using the length of the shadows of both.

But the truth is that the addition of laser It is a great luxury that allows us to measure at a greater distance and in more complex situations.

materials to make a hypsometer

The tools are very simple, a protractor (ruler to measure angles), a laser pointer and a pendulum.

The way to use it is also simple, we place the protractor at eye level, point the laser to where we want to measure and take the measurements of the angle that the plumb line gives us.

measure heights

Now we are just going to use a little trigonometry. With the example of measuring the wall of a house that is seen in the figure.

trigonometry to measure heights

We see that there are 5 unknowns.

  • ho - Height of person measuring (Known)
  • a - distance from meter to wall (Usually very easy to measure)
  • Θ - the angle that we obtain with the plumb line
  • b - observer distance 

h = b + ho = [a / tg (Θ)] + ho

If someone wants a more detailed detail of how we came to get the formula say it and upload it, but the blog does not offer the best tools for mathematical developments.

Source: instructable -> In the Instructables, I think it misses the angle it measures and then I don't know why it uses the cos. I have not reviewed it but I think it is poorly raised.The formula that I leave above is a correct way to get the height with the data we have

2 comments on "How to make a hypsometer or angle and distance meter"

  1. Hello fellow IKKARO greetings to all.
    Contributing to this valuable blog, in my opinion this type of device could be named as a clinometer, which according to the RAE is a kind of level, and according to a few other articles it seems to be the most accurate name.

    Congratulations :)


Leave a comment